Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Megan and the Gossec Gavotte

As a young mother in 1967, newly introduced to and excited about the Suzuki method for violin, I wondered how much effect being exposed to the same recording day after day would have on my then-five year old daughter Megan.

I was certainly a keener so I bought the only recording available at that time, John Kendall’s LP Listen and Play. On the recording, for reasons best known to Summy-Birchard, there was a stop after each approximately 30 second piece. This might have been of benefit to a teacher but for one who wanted to let it play all the way through, it was irritating to have to lift the record arm and place it on the next piece. So I made a tape-recording of the platter. In the middle of the Gossec Gavotte, the machine had a kind of hiccup and instead of “da de da da de de dah” it went” da de glup de de dah”. “Oh, well”, I thought to myself, “Megan will know what is intended”.

I put the recording on every day, as I was supposed to do. Some weeks later, Megan was lying on the living room carpet, coloring and singing to herself. I heard the Gossec Gavotte, “da de glup de de dah”.

I made a new recording that day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole and Valery,

It's been such a joy to read your blog posts - I'm just sorry I didn't discover them when they first started! Thank you both so much for taking the time out of your (insane :)) schedules to do this - I can't tell you how much a number of the posts have helped me both personally, and professionally. You seem to have a knack for inspiring the best in people, but then again, I shouldn't be surprised -- I have been the recipient of so many kindnesses and such generosity from you both, and you have inspired greatness in many people around the world.
Thank you for always making me feel that anything is possible.

Love you both,
L